The Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander and Peoples Psychology Interest Group invites submissions for the ATSIPP Indigenous Student Conference Attendance Award.
The purpose of the ATSIPP Interest Group Indigenous Student Conference Attendance Award is to provide Indigenous students with a positive experience of the psychology profession through a conference format. It will also provide students with the opportunity to network and liaise with other psychology students and psychologists from the Australian Psychological Society, particularly Indigenous Psychologists, in attendance at the conference. The aim of this Award is to contribute toward increasing the number of Indigenous Psychologists in Australia.
- The Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander People and Psychology Interest Group (ATSIPP) is responsible for the administration and funding of the Award, and for coordinating the component of the Award funded by the Society.
- The convener/s of the ATSIPP Interest Group will be responsible for calling nominations and for coordination of the Award. The convener/s will be responsible for appointing the selection committee, which will be made up of at least three (3) members of the Interest Group, and will be responsible for selecting an appropriate Award winner.
- Subject to the availability of funding, the Award will be made annually to a maximum of two Indigenous students in psychology wishing to attend the annual Australian Psychology conference or a nominated conference of the Australian Psychological Society within Australia.
- Once the Board approves the selection committee’s recommended candidate(s) for this award, the winner(s) of the Award will be notified by phone and by mail in time for students to make arrangements and organize their workloads to attend the conference.
- The successful student(s) will be notified of a contact person to assist in arranging their conference attendance.
- The successful student(s) will be notified of a contact person who will attend the conference and be their support and guide (if required).
- Nominees need not be members of the Society.
- Nominees must be students currently enrolled either part time or full time in an APAC-accredited undergraduate or postgraduate program in psychology at an Australian tertiary institution.
- Nominees must be of Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander background.
- Nominees must have an interest in pursuing a career in psychology.
- Nominees must be willing to provide a brief report on their conference experience in both written and audio form for the purpose of sharing with Interest Group members in the newsletter and on the webpage.
- Nominations for the Award will be called for:
- by notice published in InPsych;
- by a call for expressions of interest in the May and June ATSIPP newsletter;
- by a call for expressions of interest in the Australian Indigenous Psychological Association (AIPA) newsletter;
- by notifying the Heads of the Schools of Psychology; and
- by notifying the Indigenous units within relevant Universities.
- Nominations can be made electronically or in hard copy to the convener/s or nominated person within the ATSIPP Interest Group.
- Nominations must include a minimum of 1 page and maximum of 2 pages of written information about the student’s place and course of study, their year level, contact details and written material expressing their desire to study psychology and how attending the conference can help to meet that desire.
- Nominations must include a reference from one of the student’s Psychology lecturers or from a staff member of their Indigenous Support Unit, supporting the nominee’s application.
The selection committee will select the Award winner based on the quality of the written component of the nomination in the expression of the nominee’s desire to study psychology and how attending the conference might meet some of those desires.
Value of the award
Successful students for the ATSIPP Interest Group Indigenous Student Conference Attendance Award will:
- be invited to attend the annual Australian Psychological Society conference or a nominated conference of the Australian Psychological Society within Australia and receive a complimentary standard conference registration to attend.
- have their travel, and accommodation for up to four (4) nights at the conference venue paid by the Society, up to the value of $1200;
- be provided with complimentary attendance at the AIPA dinner held during the course of the APS Annual Conference, if relevant;
- be offered one year of Student Membership of the ATSIPP Interest Group at no cost provided that the successful candidate makes an application for membership within twelve (12) months of receiving notice of their Award. Any successful candidate who is an existing Student Member of the ATSIPP Interest Group will be offered their following years membership at no cost.
Nominations for this award will open April 2013
Nominations for this award will close July 15th 2013
Contact: Member Group Administrator
Tel: 03 8662 3300