This online CPD course provides registered psychologists with foundational knowledge to better understand the complexities around the use of illicit drugs in the world of sport to more ably support those athletes in need of counselling and rehabilitation. It will equip you with evidence-based information regarding the most effective delivery of interventions used in the AOD field and specifically with athletes, and familiarise you with clinical issues commonly observed in this sub-group. At present, the training is more relevant to working with elite and subelite/junior athletes, however could serve to also assist athletes at other levels in the future.
For some participants, the course provides an opportunity to update current knowledge in the area of illicit drugs in sport and for others it may act as a timely refresher in a flexible and accessible way. Access to video recordings of simulated therapy sessions, and regular opportunities to engage in online forums with fellow practitioners will also contribute to your learning.
Satisfactory completion of this online course qualifies registered psychologists to be recognised as a provider of services under the initiative. After meeting the requirements of the course, registered psychologists will become eligible to be included on an APS Referral Register.
Please note - this course is only available to registered psychologists (APS and non-APS) who have an AHPRA registration type of General.
- Effects of illicit drugs
- Epidemiology of drug use behaviour among athletes
- Determinants of Illicit drug use behaviour among athletes: Why do athletes use drugs?
- Intervention and evaluation: strategies for preventing drug use behaviour in sport
- Counselling and assessment considerations
- Evidence-based psychological intervention with AOD clients
- Other treatment options in Australia
- Special issues: Working with athletes
- Two self-paced modules each with four topics
- Each topic includes a printable learning guide, online video demonstrations, interactive activities, readings and other relevant resources to enable you to demonstrate active learning in your annual CPD portfolio
- Access to some further readings may involve an additional fee; however, these reading are not a requirement to complete the course.
- Participants must successfully complete an online assessment for each topic in order to pass
- Certificate of completion.
This professional development course was developed by the Australian Psychological Society (APS) in collaboration with the APS Psychology and Substance Use Interest Group and the APS College of Sport and Exercise Psychologists. Funding was provided by the Australian Government, Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet as part of the Australian Government Illicit Drugs in Sport (IDIS) Program.
What do you need to access this CPD?