The APS Victorian Section of the College of Health Psychologists Early Career Conference Travel Award acknowledges an early career psychologist who holds the grade of Member, Academic Member, Associate Member or Associate Academic Member of the College of Health Psychologists. This Award aims to support attendance by an early career health psychologist at the APS College of Health Psychologists (CHP) National Conference (held biennially) or other health psychology or behavioural medicine conference (on alternate year to the CHP National Conference).
- The College of Health Psychologists Victorian Section Committee is responsible for administering the Award and for the funding of the Award.
- The Committee of the Victorian Section of the College of Health Psychologists will form a Selection Committee which will assess eligible applications against the criteria of the Award.
- The Selection Committee will provide a rationale for the proposed Award winner to the APS Board of Directors for consideration.
- The Selection Committee may advise not to offer an Award, if no suitable nomination is received.
- Within any given year, the Committee may determine to offer the Award to more than one winner, and the Award prize amount will be divided between the Award winners.
- Once the recommended candidate has been approved by the APS Board, the Award Certificate will be presented at a Victorian Section of the College of Health Psychologists event or other APS event.
- Applicants must be an early career psychologist who currently holds the grade of Member, Academic Member, Associate Member or Associate Academic Member of the College of Health Psychologists.
- Early career psychologists are defined as applicants who are within a total of eighty-four (84) work-active months following their postgraduate training at the time of the closing date for nominations.
- Work-active months do not include periods of time of career disruption, such as an inability to work due to an absence or partial return to work as a result of illness or carer’s duties.
- Applicants must have been a member (any grade) of the APS and the College of Health Psychologists for a minimum of 12 months prior to applying.
- Applicants must have not been a recipient of the Health Psychology Conference Travel Award in the 3 years prior to applying.
- Applicants must reside in the State of Victoria at the time of applying.
- Calls for nominations for the Victorian Section of the College of Health Psychologists Early Career Conference Travel Award will be published in the April edition of InPsych and close no later than 31 May each year.
- Call for nominations will also be made prior in March each year through the Member Group bulk email system.
- Proposers and seconders of the nominee must hold the grade of Member or Academic Member of the College of Health Psychologists.
- Nominations may be accepted from the nominee.
- Nominations will be in the form of a written statement from the nominee, to a maximum length of 300 words, that is directly based on the selection criteria. Please click here for the nomination form
- Applicants must indicate the specific health psychology conference they intend to attend.
- The Committee for the Victorian Section of the College of Health Psychologists will advertise for a Selection Committee via the Member Group bulk email system.
- The Committee for the Victorian Section of the College of Health Psychologists will appoint a Travel Award Selection Committee that is drawn from Victorian members of the College of Health Psychologists.
- Members of the Travel Award Selection Committee cannot be current members of the state committee.
- Committee members who are eligible to receive the Award themselves will be ineligible to be involved in the process of appointing the Travel Award Selection Committee.
- The Travel Award Selection Committee will be comprised of at least three (3) members who are responsible for selecting an appropriate recipient.
- A de-identified copy of each bursary application will be forwarded to the Travel Award Selection Committee for blind judging purposes, following the close of nominations.
- The Travel Award Selection Committee’s purpose is to shortlist candidates and to select a proposed winner of the Award, according to the selection criteria. The Travel Award Selection Committee will forward their recommendation and rationale to the Executive of the Victorian Section of the College of Health Psychologists for consideration
- The Victorian Section of the College of Health Psychologists will forward their proposed Award winner to the Member Group Team for review and approval by the APS Board
In judging the nominations for the Victorian Section of the College of Health Psychologists Early Career Conference Travel Award, the Selection Committee will assess:
- The conference to which the applicant is intending to attend must be directly related to health psychology or behavioural medicine.
- Statements of the importance/relevance of the learnings/information gained from attendance at the conference to their current work or research.
- Statements of how learnings from conference will be disseminated in their workplace (e.g., leadership in organisational/practice change, multidisciplinary team; training supervisees; peer supervision group).
- Applicants must state their agreement to provide a 500 word report to the Victorian Section of the College of Health Psychologists Committee within one (1) month of their attendance at the conference on:
- The key highlights for them from the conference keynotes and/presentations
- Peer networking experiences, and
- The observable benefits on their work from their attendance at the conference.
- Preference will be given to applicants who have submitted, or have an abstract accepted to the named conference
- Consideration of documented career disruptions for the applicant
This page was last updated 13 Apr 2017
Value of the award
The successful candidate of the award will:
- Be presented with a certificate
- Receive reimbursement for conference travel and related expenses to the value of $1000
- Conference travel-related expenses (i.e. flights, accommodation, conference registration, transfers, meals etc.) will be reimbursed up to the Award amount once recepts are submitted to the Treasurer of the Victorian Branch of the College of Health Psychologists
- Have an abridged version of their post-conference report considered for publication in the College of Health Psychologists e-News publication.